Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not "Why?", But "What?"

As promised, the funk is over, which is probably good because things are starting to get really busy around here! I was just looking back through my Military Spouse magazine and found something else that I thought was very applicable to my current situation - well, the whole magazine is applicable, but some things more so than others. Anyway, the part that I am referring to is to stop asking "why?" when it comes to training and deployment and instead ask "what?". So, it's "what can I learn during this time? What can I do during this time to grow as an individual? As a wife? What goals can I achieve while my spouse is away? What memories can I create even during a challenging time?"

Well, I certainly am on the right path for achieving goals and creating memories. Last night, I completed the second part to a two-part training on how to teach English as a second Language (ESL). This ESL training was necessary because I plan to spend some time serving at the English Language Center this year, but more importantly, it will help me be better able to communicate with my new family. Don't worry, my mom and Will did not disown me, rather I have volunteered to be a social/cultural ambassador to a refugee family through the Agency for New Americans here in Boise.

I would love to share this amazing family’s story and tell a little bit about each person, but I do not feel comfortable writing about them on the internet as they have been already been through so much. I can, however, mention that this family is from Afghanistan. This was no surprise to me, as I had actually requested to work with an Afghani family for reasons that other people may not understand. Let's just say that my heart told me to do so and, as I learned from Greg Mortensen, when my heart speaks, I will take good notes. I can also tell you that I felt an immediate connection to one of the family members, a girl just a few years younger than me. The family arrived to Boise last Thursday and I had the honor of meeting them on Friday. Needless to say, there was much confusion from both sides as the jet lag and initial adjustment set in. I was happy to have the Agency coordinator with me to smooth the path - and interpret. The meeting was definitely overwhelming, but overwhelming in a good way. I am so happy to have this opportunity as there is so much good that can come from it. I am approaching this new endeavor in a very humble way as I am certain that this family will teach me more than I could ever hope to teach them.

So, here’s to moving past the “why” and finding the “what”.

No comments:

Post a Comment